[Owncloud] Thoughts on converting a Chromebook to an Ownbook

Drew Gibson aggibson at cogeco.ca
Tue May 14 14:57:05 UTC 2013

Hi All,

I've owned a Chromebook for two weeks now (the Samsung ARM model) and
I'm thoroughly impressed with the machine as a replacement for my ageing
Asus eee 901. Nice format, weight, k/b and screen (for 1/4 the price of
a Macbook Air), very responsive web browsing . However, I am suffering a
strong allergic reaction to being borged by Google.

I'd like it to be an "OwnBook", depending not on Google but on my Owncloud.

The 16GB internal SSD is a known and accepted limitation, it is what it
is. Biggest frustration is the lack of support for file sharing, no nfs,
atalk or webdav support. My Chromebook is alone in a sea of data
(unless, of course, you push the files up to Google Drive).

The Chrome Web Store has apps for various "cloudy" file sync/share
services, has anyone contemplated a webdav app for OC?

Ideally, I would like to mount a WebDAV share to appear in the File
Manager alongside Google Drive and the SD card.

A quick search (on Google, of course!) found two sample projects (links
below), one is an implementation of the dropbox.js API inside Chrome and
the other is a WebDAV API in js. It looks like I have hit my current
limit for developing the idea asjava_script is a foreign country to me.

Is anyone currently looking at this or a similar concept?
Can anyone recommend a js primer for a sysadmin who hacks at php?

regards,

Drew

https://github.com/pwnall/dropship-chrome
http://johnnydebris.net/java_script/