[Owncloud] upgrade from 4.5 to 5.0 lost all files

Jakub Moscicki Jakub.Moscicki at cern.ch
Thu Mar 28 08:30:17 UTC 2013

Hello,

> Syncing is not magic that guesses what you need. It has a policy of operation. Owncloud uses a very simple one, but it is clear: it is time based, so yes, it will wipe all your local data if the files on the server have recently disappeared.

I am looking for a complete and up-to-date reference which describes the *intended* synchronization model in ownCloud. Do you know if there is one (apart from the ocsync source code)? In particular, what happens if time in not up-to-date on all clients, or if the clock on a client is manually adjusted (in the future or into the past) or if a clock drifts in time. This is normal in heterogeneous distributed environments.

And a specific question regarding the file wipe you discuss: isn't it a case that file modifications are versioned on the server and same should apply to deletions (i.e. moved to a trash area before wiped off completely)?

Many thanks,

kuba