[Owncloud] Upgraded to Owncloud 5. Here come the conflict files again

Mark Symonds mark at syminet.com
Thu Mar 21 19:07:42 UTC 2013

On Mar 21, 2013, at 4:19 AM, Frank Karlitschek <frank at owncloud.com> wrote:

> Please test ownCloud and is you find a bug please file a bug report with a very detailed step by step documentation how to reproduce this.
>
> Everybody can do that even non coders.

+1

I got bit by the upgrade as well and understandably frustrated at first - but
realized hrmm... multiple betas *were* announced on the list here, with
calls to please test and report.  And you know how many of those betas
I installed?  Precisely zero!  Because you know, "Someone else is doing it."

Certainly this isn't the case for everyone, but can't help but wonder how
many folks in userspace did the same thing waiting for the stable release,
*then* find bugs, get (understandably) frustrated and complain on the list.

At least here, in the future we will make sure to answer the call for beta testing
releases so that bugs get reported to github well *before* the release happens.
Users submitting bugs clearly and correctly is invaluable to the project as a
whole and a big part of what makes any FOSS project work.

I think many users don't know how / are not comfortable enough doing some
basic things, e.g.:

* Quickly backup + upgrade your OC install.
* Restore if/when things go very wrong.
* Use github to report bugs.

Maybe some docs for these simple things would go a long way - I might
try to contribute something simple and fast in this area to quickly get people
in userspace feeling a lot more comfortable about testing beta releases and
submitting bugreports.

Best -

--
Mark