[Owncloud] Need help triaging bugs in the apps repo

Thomas Tanghus thomas at tanghus.net
Thu Mar 14 14:06:24 UTC 2013

On Thursday 14 March 2013 14:43 Jan-Christoph Borchardt wrote:
> Clearly, this will be much easier with each app (at least the ones which
> get shipped, like Calendar, Contacts etc) in their own repo. Just have
> http://github.com/owncloud/contacts and http://github.com/owncloud/calendar
> Clear issue distinction, pull requests, git history and people working on
> it. We moved Mail out of the mess which is the apps repo and the experience
> is great.
>
> I still think we should take things slow though. There’s no need for a
> rapid transition. But if you’re a developer of a shipped app inside the
> apps repo, you might want to consider if it’s better for your workflow (and
> to attract contributors) to have a dedicated repo for your app, inside the
> ownCloud organisation.

Since Calendar, Contacts and Tasks have many similarities and should imo be in
one repository.

* We've talked about trying to define common interfaces for the backends for
better maintainability.
* We've talked about splitting 'core' Calendar out, so other apps can use it
without having to enable the Calendar frontend. I could do the same so that
administrators could use the CardDAV backend without having to enable the
frontend.
* Several github issues concern both Calendar and Contacts and having them in
different repositories would add more work if we have to maintain two
trackers.

> Thoughts, Georg, Thomas, Brice, Robin?

I suggest a new repo - (pim?) - where we group those apps.

--
Med venlig hilsen / Best Regards

Thomas Tanghus