[Owncloud] website is down

Daniel Molkentin danimo at owncloud.com
Tue Mar 5 11:49:19 UTC 2013

Am 05.03.2013 um 12:38 schrieb André Schild:

> Am 05.03.2013 12:13, schrieb Georg Ehrke:
>> On Mar 5, 2013, at 12:11 PM, Bernhard Posselt <nukeawhale at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> +1 for the torrent idea
>>>
>> +1 from me as well :)

+1's do not help unless somebody actually goes and implements it, and everyone is busy with the actual release.

> I usually get the new releases via command line tool
>
> wgethttp://owncloud.org/releases/owncloud-5.0.0-RC2.tar.bz2
>

> On the servers I don't like to have torrents installed/active,
> so this won't do it for most of the server admins.
>
> But I would say do both, put them on one of the established systems
> for high-volume downloads AND create a torrent.

There is a well-established solution for this, called MirrorBrain [1]. It's works on HTTP-basis, using HTTP-Mirrors, and can optionally feed a Torrent tracker. It's used to distribute packages for high-volume projects such as openSUSE, LibreOffice and KDE, it should be able to handle ownCloud easily. However, MirrorBrain does not come without administrative (e.g. finding and maintaining appropriate mirrors) overhead (I've set up a mirror brain instance myself before), so let's first see if using a stronger server helps, and resort to something like MirrorBrain if it doesn't.

Daniel

[1] http://www.mirrorbrain.org/