[Owncloud] SSO solution and sync clients authentication (OC 5.0.7, user_saml)

alen vodopijevec alen at irb.hr
Wed Jun 26 10:16:05 UTC 2013

Dear OwnCloud-ers,

we have a test implementation of Owncloud instance at our institution
(since ver. 4.5.0). So far a dozen of our users happily share their
files and collaborate. "user_saml" is working fine with OC 5.0.7.

Current system specification:
--
1. Owncloud ver. 5.0.7 on Debian GNU Linux system (simplesaml sP)
2. A few standard plugins

I'm experimenting with sync client (1.3.0) but there is catch. When user
authenticates (user_saml) for the first time he/she gets a new record on
"oc_users" table with random password -> OK.. simplesamlphp manages user
login, so system password is not used for web logins.

PROBLEM:
Users cannot use sync clients because they don't know their random
system password and they cannot even change it because of the same
issue.. Admin user can change other user passwords (after applying patch
https://github.com/owncloud/core/commit/563f343291fb5d0292c66cb761a053557bfdae47)
.. thats ok but it's not the real solution.

SIMILAR PROBLEM SOLVED:
So, our academic community is using similar system (SRCE GSS
http://gss.srce.hr): Pithos (https://okeanos.grnet.gr/services/pithos/)
.. and there is solution for generating (and it's shown to user) random
password/token which is valid for 30 days for authentication through
WebDav service. Ordinary web authentication still goes through
simplesamlphp.

I'm interested in your opinions about adding the option for generating
random user password and showing it to him/her so they can configure
their sync clients.

Also, what is the future of the user_saml plugin, I think that we could
contribute but I will probably need some assistance? How many of you are
using it?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers!
alen