[Owncloud] Nginx configuration

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Thu Feb 21 14:13:05 UTC 2013

I disagree with the current nginx config... Near as I can see it's got
gaping security holes and duplicated code

I have posted my current best suggestion on issue 56 below, but I'm
really not happy with it (and it doesn't include the neat suggestions
for HTTP auth from another user)

Bigger issue is that Owncloud seems to have some mild policy, but has no
issue serving files willy nilly across the installation, nor does it
limit the executable PHP locations.. (coupled with writeable PHP this is
a potential security blackspot)

Nginx tends to encourage one to review the setup much more carefully
because you need to write stanzas more carefully for each file path. As
you can see you end up with a rather messy configuration, which could be
improved by increasing the tightness (and security) of OCs filesystem
layout for apps...

Please see if you can improve on my suggestion in issue 56 (it's the
"if" which needs to be removed...)

Ed W