[Owncloud] Integrating OwnCloud with /home folders

Craig Sawyer csawyer at yumaed.org
Mon Dec 2 20:01:44 UTC 2013

What you are asking for is nearly impossible.

starting web servers, and then the PHP stuff on demand per user
accessing would be... painfully slow.

My solution (since I have a similar need), is to duplicate the data.
I use pyowncloud (https://github.com/csawyerYumaed/pyOwnCloud/) --
which is a python CLI OC client) on the server, and sync each person
out to owncloud, and then each Windows/Mac/etc client can also sync to
owncloud.  This way they get the important 'data' folder from the
homedir on the server, and it's treated just like another OC client.

Hopefully this makes sense.

It's not the best solution, but it's the only one I could make work
reliably.  It would be nice if OC allowed for server side file
changes, outside of OC making the changes, but I don't think that will
happen anytime soon.

-Craig