[Owncloud] Hate to say it but . . .

Vince D. Kimball vince at vkimball.com
Fri Apr 26 02:14:20 UTC 2013

I upgraded to client 1.2.5 yesterday and probably two-thirds of my
synchronized files had conflict files generated for them on my Owncloud
5.0.5 server.  I'm the only user on this server and I only change files on
one client at a time so it seems strange to me that I should ever have a
conflict file generated at all.  Looking at the conflict files that were
generated, I can see no pattern to them whatsoever.  Files that have not
changed in days or weeks have conflict files generated on the server.  It
would seem to me that there has to be a problem with the sync algorithm.

It has become clear to me that this issue is too complicated to be
reproduced in the normal way.  It just doesn't seem realistic for ordinary
users to have copies of every client and every server from before and
after every upgrade so that they can re-run each upgrade with logging
enabled.  Unless the clients and server automatically generate some type
of log when a conflict file is generated, I doubt this problem will ever
be truly solved.

I don't doubt that the Owncloud developers want to resolve this issue, but
as far as I can see, there is no way to realistically reproduce the issue
in the way we as users have been asked to do.

I can still use Owncloud for personal use.  As my primary use of Owncloud
is the file sync feature, I'll just have to remember to create a new
folder after every upgrade.