[Owncloud] State of ownCloud apps

Thomas Müller thomas.mueller at tmit.eu
Mon Nov 5 13:42:55 UTC 2012

Am Montag, dem 05.11.2012 um 14:14 schrieb Frank Karlitschek:
> On 05.11.2012, at 14:03, Torsten Grote <grote at kolabsys.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > On Friday 02 November 2012 22:49:59 Jan-Christoph Borchardt wrote:
> >> * Calendar
> >> * Contacts
> >> * Tasks
> >>
> >> What’s missing:
> >>
> >> * Mail. It’s in development at
> >> https://github.com/owncloud/apps/tree/master/mail, join in if you
> >> like!
> >
> > Please note that all of the above are available in professional quality when
> > ownCloud is integrated with Kolab [1]. Our communities have been working on
> > the integration at the Kolab Sprint in Berlin some weeks ago, but there's
> > still some work left. Currently, only a prototype integration with iframe is
> > working.
> >
> > Kolab employs Roundcube as a webmailer and uses specially developed Roundcube
> > plugins [2] to display Calendars, Contacts and Tasks.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Torsten
>

> I agree with Torsten.
>
> We should work together with other projects as much as possible especially with Kolab.
> I think we shouldn´t underestimate the work that´s needed to build a full fledged groupware and Kolab already has that.
> Kolab is probably to heavy and difficult to setup for some users but for other it´s great because it has a very advanced featureset

Who needs a full fledged groupware solution is for sure better advised to choose any of the projects and products out there.

But the main idea - the vision - is to allow everybody to install ownCloud almost everywhere.
There are areas where most/all of these projects/products fail to be installed e.g. hosted web space, raspberry ...
(Please no replies here like: 'But solution X is working on Y!' - THX)

I always have the one specific user group in mind when working on ownCloud:
A family with kids, grandparents and friends. (Maybe because of this is my situation ;-) )

They want to share latest vacation photos and documents.
They want to organize their live by having synced and shared calendars (web+iPhone+Android)
(At least some of them) want to have contacts synced (web+desktop+mobile)

Any they have a free web space with their ISP (and maybe no support for mysql and need to fall back to sqlite).

Which piece of software can do that?
AFAIK - only ownCloud!

And that's why we shall continue to build up all these apps and enhance them!

Take care,

Tom

@Torsten:
This statement is not against your project - only pro ownCloud! ;-)
It'll for sure be a great benefit for us all to integrate ownCloud into kolab.