[Owncloud] Inter-ownCloud Sharing

Deepak Mittal dpac.mittal2 at gmail.com
Sun May 27 07:14:49 UTC 2012

On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 1:41 AM, Klaas Freitag <freitag at owncloud.com> wrote:

> On 26.05.2012 13:09, Deepak Mittal wrote:
>
>> On Sat, May 26, 2012 at 4:07 PM, Frank Karlitschek<frank at owncloud.org**
>> >wrote:
>>
> Hi,
>

>> You can check out my GSoC proposal at
>> http://www.google-melange.com/**gsoc/proposal/review/google/**
>> gsoc2012/dpacmittal/18002<http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2012/dpacmittal/18002>
>> .
>> This is basically how I'm implementing it although few things might change
>> during actual implementation.
>>

> Great proposal from a users perspective. Here are some random thoughts:
>
> - The request_file and request_file_index request: These functions provide
> a very similar functionality than the WebDAV module which is already there:
> With WebDAV you can obviously download files and get directory listings,
> however for the sharing a filter on the file listing would be needed (ie.
> which files are to share). Maybe we can combine that and not duplicate?

Yep, Robin told me I could use WebDAV interface for this functionality.

> - it might be cool to enhance the idea of what a user is in ownCloud in
> general. Currently a user is just "frank", maybe we should enhance that to
> "frank at domain". That would make a lot more possible.

Yes, that's the idea. It was in my mockups album.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/vuvy62LL6e2zLvueGiDkT9MTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

> - A very special usecase of sharing is the "sharing with myself". Given
> that I can proof that frank at domainA and frank at domainB are both under my
> control the complete data can be shared between the ownClouds which in turn
> makes moving quite easy.
>
> - I think the request_user_index is not a good idea. Systems like ownCloud
> should not distribute their user lists, and (already hearing Jan objecting
> ;-) obviously not by default. I think you should know the user you want to
> share with.

User-index is only required for a drop-down list in which user can
search/select user to share files with. I will put an option to disable
sharing of user-index, after which user has to manually type the name is
sharing box.

> The API can be very useful for the client as well which we also were
> already talking about.

Sorry, I'm confused. Do I go ahead with my original proposal, or do I start
again with a REST API? Can someone guide me on what to do? It'd be awesome
if we could talk this over IRC or have an IRC meeting about this.

> Thanks,
>
> Klaas

Regards,
Deepak Mittal,