[Owncloud] urlrouting

Frank Karlitschek frank at owncloud.org
Sun Mar 18 04:48:59 UTC 2012

On 16.03.2012, at 12:25, Roland van Laar <roland at micite.net> wrote:

> On 03/15/2012 03:44 AM, Frank Karlitschek wrote:

> <snip>
>> If .htaccess files are not possible or a different webservers than apache is used than it´s still safe to use ownCloud if the data directory is located outside the htdocs folder. This is the recommended setup for our IIS, nginx, lighttpd or other webserver users.
>> I agree that we should improve the checks during installation and show a proper security warning to the user if the setup is not secure.

>>> That's a good and noble goal, although the 'run everywhere' matra shouldn't come before basic security
>>> because private files that are accessible for the whole world is a bit of a problem.
>> sure. But it is of course possible to setup ownCloud in a secure way as described above.
>
> Could you add more about this and security in the documentation, especially on the Linux Server Installation page?

Sure.
The best solution would be, of course, if ownCloud detects automatically that the current configuration is unsecure and refuses to work et all.
An idea is that ownCloud could try to read from the data directory via http and check if the .htaccess blocks access.
ownCloud could also refuse to work if a webserver different that apache is detected and the data directory is inside the document root.