[Owncloud] Syncing and Time Synchronization

Evert Pot evert at rooftopsolutions.nl
Wed Jul 18 16:23:43 UTC 2012

On Jul 18, 2012, at 4:57 PM, Klaas Freitag wrote:

> On 18.07.2012 16:30, Evert Pot wrote:
> Hi Evert,
>
>>> We instead have to implement it as Custom webdav property which the client can query via PROPFIND, and gets the MD5 sum for every file in return.
>>
>> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4918#section-15.6
> Ah ok, that teaches us that we can get the etag as a property too. Did not know that, thanks :-)
>>

>> Related to the sync discussion; don't ignore this rfc:
>>
>> http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6578
>>
>> It's easily superior to all the approaches discussed here in the last little while.
> Oh yes. Is it implemented with Sabre somewhere? Sounds like the overall target we should strive for.

Not yet, it's planned and there's a branch:
https://github.com/evert/SabreDAV/tree/webdav-sync

But it's a bit hard to say when it's ready.

If you want to support it in owncloud in the future, you should at least have support for:

* A concept of sync-tokens. These are similar to ETags, but apply to the contents of an entire collection.
* Changelogs, containing deletes and modifications of files. also for an entire collection.

This should be a solid basis for whatever sync approach you take :)
Evert