[Owncloud] ownCloud Plasma client

Thomas Müller thomas.mueller at tmit.eu
Thu Jul 12 11:30:47 UTC 2012

Am Donnerstag, dem 12.07.2012 um 13:23 schrieb Klaas Freitag:
> On 12.07.2012 00:34, Aleix Pol wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Hi!
> > First of all, it's good to see people pushing owncloud (and
> > synchronization) in general in KDE, I think it's something really
> > needed. Kudos for that! :)
> >
> > Now, I just wanted to say that it doesn't look like something it would
> > be on the system tray... maybe a KCM would be better? Or integrating
> > with Alex's WebAccounts?
> For configuration of accounts, I think it makes sense to have a KCM
> module, maybe also for the folder administration, ie. adding and
> removing sync folder.
>
> The tray icon is used for two purposes currently:
> - show that the software is there and running and showing the status of
> the sync.
> - A click on it opens a status dialog to provide more info about the sync.
> - a right click gives configuration options.
>
> As we provide the client also for Windows and Mac I don't want to give
> the tray up as its kind of standard at least on that platforms.

FYI: on Gnome3 desktops these notification baloons on the tray icon are messed up (positioned too far off the screen - afaik).
This is an issue Qt has to take care.
But in addition I'd like to point you to the library libindicate, which integrates into the desktop notification system.

Besides the Plasma Client there is still the plan to have a pure Qt-based front end to the sync daemon?

Finally: will there be one daemon per user or one daemon handling all users of the system?
The later I assume to enable sync while not logged on.

Take care,

Tom