[Owncloud] Fwd: Re: Client Work Methodology - Server Participation?

Klaas Freitag freitag at owncloud.com
Fri Jul 6 13:40:30 UTC 2012

On 06.07.2012 14:07, Thomas Müller wrote:

Hi,

> Am Freitag, dem 06.07.2012 um 13:55 schrieb Bjoern Schiessle:
>> On Fri, 06 Jul 2012 11:50:59 +0200 Klaas Freitag wrote:
>>> - Introduce a server notification to the client if something changes
>>> so that regular checks can go away.
>>

> But we need to make sure that no client specific data will be store in the server like a
> queue of changeset for each client.
Yes, no queue. However, I can think of ideas where client specific data
on the server can make sense, such as sync configurations for example.

> This will have a bad impact on scalability and the various scenarios will just
> over-complicate the server implementation.
Yes, complicate stuff we don't want ;-)

> The client need to take care himself about his state and the server can support him
> by e.g. sending aggregated data.
Right, also the client should be free to do a full syncing run whenever
it wants.

>> This sounds interesting and would enable a application for the sync
>> client I already thought about for a while.
>>
>> But I'm curious about your plans for the implementation, especially if
>> the client is behind a firewall.
>>

> Because all communication should be based on http(s) simple proxy support will
> be enough to get around the firewall.
>
> In general proxy support has been requested many times - which I started in April.
> I "just" need to implement proxy support for libneon.
That is basically a call to ne_session_proxy( ... ) and a bit of an
extension to the auth callback.

See http://www.theresearchkitchen.com/archives/25 for an example.

regards,

Klaas