[Owncloud] regarding quality

Thomas Müller thomas.mueller at tmit.eu
Tue Jul 3 13:09:11 UTC 2012

Am Sonntag, dem 01.07.2012 um 18:13 schrieb Klaas Freitag:
> On 29.06.2012 21:18, Thomas Müller wrote:
> >
> > Am Freitag, dem 29.06.2012 um 14:20 schrieb Frank Karlitschek:
> >> Hi everybody,
> >>

> >> the main problem our users mention about ownCloud is the number of bugs we have. I think we have to be more careful in the future about code quality if we want that more users use our software to manage their important documents and data.
> >> We got a lot of bad press and feedback for ownCloud 4 and it took us several weeks to fix the major bugs in 4.0.4. We have to be way better in ownCloud 5.
> >>
> >> Robin, Thomas and others are working on automated unit tests. This will help us a bit in the future.
> >> But automated test have only a limited effectivity in complex client/server/web environments like ours.
> >> So every developer is full responsible for the bugs and security problems a commit might introduce. You can´t rely on a unit test or a different developer or user to find and fix your stuff.
> >>

> > After building up the unit test suite to a necessary extend we shall start to think about going
> > into integration testing and maybe even think about behavior driven test cases built on top of e.g. selenium.
> I read a bit about Selenium and I think that might help us a lot and it
> feels lightweight to me for what its providing. Have you set it up and
> used it in another project yet? I think we really should work towards
> using that midterm.

I used BDD in my two last rails projects. The used tools have been cucumber(for user stories) and
webrat/capybara (for plain http and html processing).
Due to the little javascript in these projects there was no need to use selenium.
But selenium will/would have been plugged in underneath the BDD layer.

Due to the heavy use of javascript in owncloud we must use selenium.

For sure all these ruby tools can be used for acceptance testing a php project as well.

But PHPUnit has support for selenium as well:
http://www.phpunit.de/manual/3.1/en/selenium.html

We need to dig into this topic - another developer meeting would be great! ;-)

Tom