[Owncloud] coding errors

Evert Pot evert at rooftopsolutions.nl
Mon Jan 30 09:07:40 UTC 2012

On Jan 30, 2012, at 9:19 AM, Andreas Schneider wrote:

> On Monday 30 January 2012 09:48:56 Stephen Rees-Carter wrote:
>> There are plenty :)
>>
>> http://jenkins-php.org/ outlines how to set up a full testing suite
>> for the Jenkins Continuous Integration build server.
>> I use this at work for check and validate all my code, as well as
>> running a full suite of unit tests.
>
> For this you need a unit test framwork. I meant you should use something like
> this:
>
> https://code.google.com/closure/compiler/
>
> Compiling while developing …

That's silly..

PHPUnit is very popular, and there's definitely not another compilation step needed to run:

https://github.com/sebastianbergmann/phpunit/

Besides all that, I too am a little surprised owncloud doesn't have *any* unittests. Wouldn't be a bad thing to explore this imho, just from glancing over the source I've noted some bad anti-patterns, and having good and testable code can prevent you guys from a maintenance nightmare a little further down the road.

The initial investment will be a little high, but I guarantee it will pay off.

Evert