[Owncloud] Missing files to please licensing policies within Debian

Thomas Müller thomas.mueller at tmit.eu
Mon Jan 9 07:33:05 UTC 2012

Hi Tom,

thanks alot!

Just to state, what I know:
If you publish GPL licensed binaries without the corresponding source, you violate the license.
This is also true for minified js and swf (here in special also with the binary Adobe source *.fla - but thats another topic).

If you don't want to deliver the sources of 3rd party component (e.g. ace editor, jquery ...), don't do so and tell the
people where to get the 3rd party components.
But then you will get issues with not 100% matching code. e.g. one user downloaded a different version that you
tested and some thing are broken.

Maybe it would be better to maintain the 3rd party components with the project.
But in this case we need to make sure that all used non-source/binary components can be build from source as well.

At the end we maybe end up in 2 deliveries on each release: on source tarball and on binary tarball.
Because in a productive installation nobody wants to see action script files or unused/unminified files.

On specialty on Debian:
within the core package section called 'main' alll packages must be built with tools living in main (e.g. gcc ....)
Because there is no open source action script 3 compiler, we will never see the jplayer in main.
But there are solutions to this - I'll take care! ;-)

Thanks,

Thomas

Thomas Müller                 E-Mail: thomas.mueller at tmit.eu