[Owncloud] database: enlarge configvalue column | config files

Arthur Schiwon blizzz at owncloud.com
Fri Feb 24 13:26:02 UTC 2012

On Thursday 23 February 2012 14:29:54 Klaas Freitag wrote:
> On 23.02.2012 14:06, Arthur Schiwon wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > currently, the length of the column configvalue (varchar) in the table
> > appconfig is set to 255. As it happens, sometimes you need more space,
> > e.g. when you have to define long LDAP-filters.
> >
> > Therefore I'd like to enlarge this column to a higher value, e.g. 500. The
> > problem is that MySQL up to version 5.0.2 (incl) only allows VARCHArs with
> > a length up to 255 bytes. 5.0.3 and later allow 65535 bytes.
>
> Please use TEXT for the configvalue column in mysql. You explode the 500
> char limit as easy as the 255 chars limit. It doesn't make sense to
> limit the column at all.
>
> > What do you think, is it okay to set up this barrier for MySQL? I have no
> > idea about the MySQL versions running in the wild. My 10.04 Ubuntu server
> > delivers 5.1.41, UCS 3.0 ships 5.1.49.
>
> I think mysql below 5.1 is quite rare.

It should be fine with (LONG)TEXT anyway.

> > Alternatively, we could move the application config out of the datababe
> > and
> > store it in a config file under config/.
> >
> > In a wider scenario, we could also check if config files exists in
> > /etc/owncloud or /var/lib/owncloud/config/ to make it easier for
> > distributions (see also Riddells mail from Feb, 15th).
>
> For plain configs that sounds good, but I don't know in detail what kind
> of data should be stored in the table.

There we have configuration settings from the different apps, as well as their
state (enabled or not and which version).
Usually apps bring their own tables with them, if they need essential database
support (e.g. bookmarks or media player). So it is really only about plain
config.

Cheers
Arthur