[Owncloud] ownCloud Client 1.0.4 Release

Steve Riley steve at rileyz.net
Fri Aug 10 18:00:05 UTC 2012

On 2012-08-10 18:11:47 Klaas Freitag wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am very happy to announce release 1.0.4 of the ownCloud desktop client
> and csync 0.50.8 (ownCloud release) for the three platforms Linux,
> MacOSX and Windows.
>
> This release brings some new features such as proxy- and proper http(s)
> redirect support as well as a whole bunch of bugfixes and improvements.

This reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask.

Several days ago I installed an OC 4.0.6 server on Ubuntu 12.04 server. Setup
went well, no problems. Then I installed the 1.0.3 sync client on my Kubuntu
12.04 laptop. The sync client operated as expected, but I noticed it was
frequently chatting with the server even when I there was nothing to do. Even
with no changes to files in the sync folder on the server or laptop, it
appeared that every 10 seconds or so, approximately 200 KiB of traffic would
exchange.

Is this because WebDAV has no push notification mechansim, therefore the client
has to keep polling the server for changes? If so, are there plans to offer
another kind of sync mechanism, perhaps something based on Unison and inotify?

This is important for people who might run OC on, say, Amazon Web Services,
where bandwidth usage incurs monetary costs.

...Steve