[Owncloud] alpha 1 release

Frank Karlitschek frank at owncloud.org
Thu Aug 2 13:41:21 UTC 2012

Hi everybody,

we are not ready to discuss the final ownCloud 5 release schedule because a few important features like the new encryption are still unclear. It's likely that we have to move the ownCloud 5 release into September. But more on this later.

But I think it makes sense to release an snapshot of the current master as alpha 1 soon.
We have to make it clear that this is not feature complete and also not well tested and has bugs but I think it makes sense to get some user feedback as soon as possible. We have some features implemented and working so users can test it and give feedback

I suggest to release it next monday so that we can polish a few thing during the bug-hunting session on Saturday.

So if you have features that are ready for some user feedback than I suggest to merge it now.

I hope this makes sense.

Frank