[Owncloud] Introduction of Cloudia

Klaas Freitag freitag at suse.de
Thu Sep 1 15:50:12 UTC 2011

Hey,

I'd like to introduce you to Cloudia.

Cloudia came to me last weekend and it helps me to interact with
Owncloud. It is a semi-automatic sync client for the Owncloud for the
desktop written using Qt. Find a screenshot here:
   http://paste.opensuse.org/40583958

Currently it monitors the directory $HOME/Owncloud and tells you about
the status of the sync. In case its not in sync, you have two buttons
"Sync to Owncloud" and "Sync from Owncloud" to fix that. It doesn't do
that automatically for you yet. That would be possible but I don't
always really want that.

Technically, Cloudia dedicates all the nifty sync stuff to a cool little
tool called sitecopy [1]. So you can see Cloudia as a fronted for
sitecopy as well. Make sure to have the sitecopy package installed.

I would love to hear what you think about Cloudia. If you like to try
it, please either use packages from the open build service, project
home:kfreitag [2] or compile from source. The code is currently in the
KDE SVN, in the module playground/office. If you feel its a useful
supplement to Owncloud, I will probably continue to work on it.

One important downside currently: the url of the used Owncloud is
hardcoded to http://localhost/oc/ . If you use another url, please open
the file mainwindow.cpp, go to line 26 and change the host and path
accordingly. I know that is silly and will be fixed.

For authentification, Claudia enters the name of the logged in user
automatically into the config file .sitecopyrc. Add a password to it
inserting the line
  password xxxx
manually after Cloudias first run or put the password in your file
$HOME/.netrc .

have fun,

Klaas

[1] http://www.manyfish.co.uk/sitecopy/