[Owncloud] Incomplete features and apps

Jan-Christoph Borchardt jan at unhosted.org
Mon Oct 3 21:20:18 UTC 2011

As said in previous mails, incomplete apps and/or features should be
developed in branches only until they are well-tested,
interface-integrated, fast, reviewed etc.

If we say something is available in ownCloud, people expect it to work –
without problems. If we promise a feature (by including it) then it should
work. We should not over-promise and under-deliver but rather not claim
too much. A feature that is not there is ok while a feature which is there
but doesn’t work is just annoying. This is not about getting everything in
before the release of ownCloud 2 at any price.

So please – until features are really mature, keep them in branches. For
example the tasks app (already in a branch), the gallery app (was merged
earlier, should go back in a branch because it’s slow) and the bookmarks
app (should go back in a branch until the interface adheres to the
ownCloud design).
Before merging something in, call for review on the mailing list and in
the chat room.

Short: Quality over quantity, please.