[Owncloud] migration path

Frank Karlitschek karlitschek at kde.org
Tue Nov 1 21:45:19 UTC 2011

Hi everybody,

when we release ownCloud 3 in january we need a migration procedure for existing ownCloud 2 users.
We have to plan and implement this now, otherwise we´ll have a hard-time to do this later.

We have to migrate the database structure, database content, file structure, config options and perhaps more for the core and all the apps.

The idea is that the ownCloud core compares the current version with the version stored in config.php
If the version is different ownCloud calls (includes) migration.php from every app directory and from ownCloud core.
This files have to know what to migrate and do the changes.

The migration.php files in the apps are also called when a new version of this app is installed (upgrading)

What do you think? Does this make sense?

Cheers
Frank

Frank Karlitschek
karlitschek at kde.org