[Owncloud] File synchronization similar to Dropbox

matthew matthew at mjdsystems.ca
Mon Jun 21 03:51:43 UTC 2010

Hey everyone,

Recently I've been wishing for a dropbox clone for my personal use, and have begun seriously considering how to write one.  As I've read about Owncloud through various blogs on planet, it seemed a natural fit to use for the server side component for such a client.  Thus, I have some questions about Owncloud and such a service:

1) Is there any interest in having such a service for Owncloud?
2) What existing support would such a project probably use?  I know there is webdav support, would a client basically just sync to the data stored there?  I also found http://gitorious.org/owncloud-sync-client , would this be where such a client should be implemented?
3) What level of libraries does Owncloud want to target for the desktop app (How much of the KDE libraries does the Owncloud project want to use)?

I'm just starting to think about how to implement support, and what technologies to use.  Right now I'm looking at using inotify/kdirwatch for file monitoring, using the rsync protocol for actual syncing of files between server and client, along with a management/conflict resolver gui and proper local caching of changes.  It should all act seamlessly and be as simple as possible.  Ideally there should be support for revisions as well.  This is just my initial thoughts, and haven't firmed up any part of the design.

Any comments/suggestions/questions are appreciated.

Thank you for your time,

Matthew