Removing import Postscript as PDF feature?

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Fri Nov 24 23:05:52 GMT 2023

El divendres, 24 de novembre de 2023, a les 9:49:15 (CET), Sune Stolborg
Vuorela va escriure:
> On Friday, November 24, 2023 12:53:31 AM CET Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > What do we win by removing the code? It's like 10 lines of code i guess?
>
> it is just 2 digits lines of code, yes. But there is some bugs in it.
>  - Paper size
>  - memory leaks on conversion failure
>  - no user feedback on conversion failure
>  - Not that good user experience if ps2pdf not available
>
> I'm also trying to flip it around a  bit. If this was proposed today where
> we have a postscript generator in okular, would we accept this feature?

No, would probably not be accepted, but that's not a fair question, because
the feature is here, potentially used by people (we should add kuserfeeddback
to have actual data about this) that will be sad that the feature is removed.
The fact that it can be done using the command line doesn't matter, we can't
ask regular users to use the command line, if we do that, we've lost.

> All of this can be fixed, but I'd rather just remove it because I don't yet
> see the value in it.

There's also no need to fix it, the code has existed for 2 decades and AFAIK
there's no bug about any of those things you mention.