Removing import Postscript as PDF feature?

Sune Stolborg Vuorela sune at vuorela.dk
Wed Nov 22 13:01:03 GMT 2023

Hi
I was just reading over bits of okular source code and suddenly discovered
"Import postscript as PDF" in the main menu.

I'm considering removing it, but before I propose a patch doing it, I would
love to have some feedback first.

Reasons to remove:
 - Okular can open postcript by itself
 - It clutters up the menu
 - There is a open bug report that it always uses US Letter as papersize when
importing, and no gentle way of fixing it without exposing a complicated dialog
 - It is implented by running an external command (ps2pdf) to do the heavy
lifting
 - If your platform doesn't have libspectre&libgs, it likely also doesn't have
ps2pdf
 - if ps2pdf is not found, it is not immediately clear to the user how to
solve
 - Error handling in case of ps2pdf failing is nonexisting

Reasons to keep:
 - If you have a okular compiled in a nonstandard configuration, but with pdf
support, you can later install ps2pdf and be able to view postscript files
anyway

The feature in question was added back in 2005; that was back when okular was
kpdf  and has not been touched much since then.

Any one for?
Any one against?

/Sune
--
I didn’t stop pretending when I became an adult, it’s just that when I was a
kid I was pretending that I fit into the rules and structures of this world.