Publish Okular for Windows using new script

Ingo Klöcker kloecker at kde.org
Tue Jan 31 15:23:43 GMT 2023

Hi Okular devs,

as you may have seen there is now a way to publish your application semi-
automatically on the Microsoft Store:
https://blogs.kde.org/2023/01/16/neochat-published-microsoft-store

Aleix suggested that you could give it a try, so that I can get feedback what
should be improved.

The idea of the script is to use the information from the AppStream data
additionally to the .appxupload package so that one does not have to fill in
the information manually.

Comparing the AppStream data for Okular with the information published in the
Microsoft Store I'm seeing the following:

* The Microsoft Store contains only a listing in English. The script would
create listings for all languages (supported by Microsoft Store) for which
there is a translation of the description in the AppStream data.

* The description in Microsoft Store seems to be identical to the description
in the AppStream data, but without the list of Features.

* The list of Features in Microsoft Store seems to be identical to the list of
Features in the description in the AppStream data.

* What's New? in Microsoft Store contains "Updated to <version>". In the
AppStream data the first (newest) release entry has no description. Quite
frankly, "Update to <version>" isn't really very helpful information for the
users. Listing new features would be much more interesting (for all consumers
of the AppStream data).

* There are 5 screenshots in Microsoft Store which are different from the
screenshots referenced in the AppStream data. On one hand this allows using
Windows-specific screenshots for the Microsoft Store. On the other hand you
miss the opportunity for translated captions which are provided by the
AppStream data. Maybe consider using the same screenshots because I guess that
the look of Okular on Windows shouldn't be that different than the one on Linux
except for different windows decorations.

* The entry in the Microsoft Store lists Search terms. AppStream supports
<keywords> (and the script uses those), but Okular's AppStream data doesn't
list any keywords.

For a first try you may want to run the script as follows:

python3 submit-to-microsoft-store.py -vv --skip-commit \
--keep description,images org.kde.okular <appxuploadFile>

so that the description (for the English listing) and the images are not
overwritten by the information found in the AppStream data. Moreover, the
--skip-commit option will allow you to check the submission in Partner Center
before it is actually submitted for publication.

Note that you need special credentials to actually use this script (as
mentioned in the documentation). You need to ask Ben for them. (Of course, I
could also give them to you, but it's better to keep Ben in the loop.) In the
future, the script is supposed to be run on invent so that we do not have to
hand out credentials to anyone/everyone.

Regards,
Ingo