user interface for attach & detach

David Hurka david.hurka at mailbox.org
Mon May 2 11:05:52 BST 2022

Andreas Naumann wrote:
> However, if exactly one file is open, then we do not see the tab bar,
> but only one window. That raises the question, how can a user move that
> instance/file to another instance?
>
> Until now I have the following workflows / user interfaces in mind:
>
>    (1) Drag the window (at the title) with the single file above
>    another instance: From my perspective, this feels most intuitive.

>    (3) Insert some button/icon in the toolbar: How should that button
>    look like and intuitively like "attach some where else".

Good question.

I would avoid 1, because traditional titlebars are not intended to be
something applications may mess with.

Maybe add a grab handle to the tab bar of the side bar?
If the grab handle is clicked, it can show a menu with “attach tab to ...”.
If grabbed, it behaves like a tab that can be dropped on another window.
If multiple documents are opened, the handle can be hidden.

Cheers, David