user interface for attach & detach

David Hurka david.hurka at mailbox.org
Sun Jun 26 21:01:40 BST 2022

On Sunday, June 26, 2022 10:49:02 AM CEST okular-devel-request at kde.org wrote:
> > Alternative suggestion:
> > * Add a sub-option to "Always show tabs" [even if there's only one
> > document open] in the configuration. It's what konsole and firefox do.
> > And then people that like dragging tabs around can enable that and be
> > happy dragging the tags.
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> That is the way, I implemented the feature now. If the option "Keep tab"
> is enabled, we keep the tab box even if there is only one open file.
>
> The user interface works two fold now:
>    1. simple drag and drop: If the mouse leaves the window, a "drag"
> action is started. Thus a user can simply drop the file in any other
> application (which supports drag'n drop). This is like a "copy
> operation". Even if you drop the file onto another okular instance, we
> keep it open at the source.
>    2. drag while pressing "shift". That detaches the file from the
> current okular instance and removes. This is like a "move operation". I
> chose the shift key, because it is similar to the behavior of dolphin.
> There "shift & drag" means move the file to the destination.

Nice. It is not optimal, but to me it appears acceptable.

If you hold shift and then move a tab only slightly around, the tab is
immediately lost?
I think since you have to hold shift, this will not put people in danger of
randomly loosing documents.
Anyways, do you show the “Really want to close” dialog if a tab with unsaved
forms/annotations is detached?