Using Review tools on a password-protected file

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Tue Jun 30 20:55:13 BST 2020

El dimarts, 30 de juny de 2020, a les 6:57:10 CEST, Dave va escriure:
> Hello.  I posted this to the okular forum on forum.kde.org and got no
> response. That is truly one of the least helpful support forums I've
> ever seen. So I'm trying here.
>
> I've been using Okular on Linux for several years and quite like it (I
> have version 1.10.1 according to the About dialot). I recently tried to
> add highlighting to a PDF, but found the Tools > Review function grayed
> out. It seems that the file is password protected, and I suppose that's
> the reason why.

I don't think that's the reason. The most probable reason is that whoever created the file said it didn't want to allow annotations.

If you wish to bypass their request you can uncheck the "Obey DRM limitations" option in the settings dialog.

> Just for kicks I tried Evince, and found that I could add highlighting
> using Evince, and save. The highlighting is displayed by Okular, showing
> that it has been saved in the file, rather than just remembered
> separately by Evince.
>
> I prefer to use Okular, but is there any way for me to get around this
> protection to add annotations to the file? Why is this possible in
> Evince? Are they failing to respect the protection applied by the
> author?

It would seem like it, yes.