Using Review tools on a password-protected file

Dave xqrbet at punchcutter.ml1.net
Wed Jul 1 05:40:38 BST 2020

> > I recently tried to add highlighting to a PDF, but found the Tools >
> > Review function grayed out. It seems that the file is password
> > protected, and I suppose that's the reason why.
>
> I don't think that's the reason. The most probable reason is that
> whoever created the file said it didn't want to allow annotations.
>
> If you wish to bypass their request you can uncheck the "Obey DRM
> limitations" option in the settings dialog.

Thank you, this is exactly what I needed to know.

It would be helpful if that option setting was accompanied by some kind
of help pop-up, to explain what it means. I'm not sure if I would have
found it even with the help, but the meaning of this is likely not clear
to people who are not deeply involved in the world of this jargon.

Dave