D15580: [WIP] New annotation toolbar

Simone Gaiarin noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Oct 24 09:11:30 BST 2019

simgunz added a comment.

  In D15580#552773 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D15580#552773>, @ngraham wrote:

  > In D15580#552455 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D15580#552455>, @simgunz wrote:
  >
  > > When an annotation is selected its annotation toolbar button is checked and Browse Mode is checked, exactly as in the current Okular version.
  > >  When you select a quick annotation tool what happens is that the corresponding annotation action gets checked. In a sense a quick annotation is just an alias for an effective annotation with a specified set of settings (color, etc.). For this reason the quick annotation cannot have a checked state.
  > >  This however has a quirkiness in the case the annotation toolbar is hidden. In that case we are in Browse Mode and an annotation tool is active but we do not see the corresponding checked action in the hidden toolbar. This can be "solved" by showing the annotation toolbar when a quick annotation is selected, but I think it is going to become frustrating very soon.

  I propose the following solution:

  - Clicking a quick annotation shows the annotation toolbar (in addition to what already happen as checking the corresponding action)

  This has the following benefits:

  - DIscoverability. Once a user selects an annotation from the quick annotation list, he discovers the existence of the annotation toolbar
  - We do not need an extra action Show Annotation Toolbar which would be the third copy of Tools > Annotations and Settings > Toolbars Shown > Annotation Toolbar and desynced from them. Moreover when the toolbar is visible clicking on Show Annotation Toolbar does nothing.
  - Making the quick annotations checkable is a duplication of functions from me. Copies of the same annotation can be checkable in two different toolbars. Leaving as it is now the quick annotations are just a proxy to the annotation toolbar, not  a tool on its own.

  Bottom line: to use the annotations you have to have the annotation toolbar open, which makes sense and it is in agreement with the current behavior of Okular.

  See the current implementation.