D15580: [WIP] New annotation toolbar

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Oct 23 16:06:56 BST 2019

ngraham added a comment.

  In D15580#552455 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D15580#552455>, @simgunz wrote:

  > When an annotation is selected its annotation toolbar button is checked and Browse Mode is checked, exactly as in the current Okular version.
  >  When you select a quick annotation tool what happens is that the corresponding annotation action gets checked. In a sense a quick annotation is just an alias for an effective annotation with a specified set of settings (color, etc.). For this reason the quick annotation cannot have a checked state.
  >  This however has a quirkiness in the case the annotation toolbar is hidden. In that case we are in Browse Mode and an annotation tool is active but we do not see the corresponding checked action in the hidden toolbar. This can be "solved" by showing the annotation toolbar when a quick annotation is selected, but I think it is going to become frustrating very soon.

  Yeah, I don't think that's ideal.

  > Regarding browse mode, we can also uncheck it when an annotation is selected, if there are no side effects.

  That's mostly what I think should happen. Not just browse mode though, but rather any tool that's currently active should become unchecked when you're using an annotation. Okular has a set of mutually-exclusive tools; annotations are just additional tools added to this list. For example you can't be both using an annotation and also in Browse mode. Rather, Okular would go back to Browse mode after you're done using an annotation tool.

  > Yes, but I do not know how to do it. See https://phabricator.kde.org/D15580#544534 for the details of the problem.

  For now maybe we should just have an action rather than a toggle that's in sync with the toggle action in the menubar?

  > I thought about this, but I decided to leave "Configure Annotations" given that in the same KCM module the user can configure the "annotation identity", which is not related to "Quick Annotations" but to "Annotations" in general.
  >  Changing it to "Configure" won't work either. This is a standard action that will appear in the "Configure Toolbar" and "Configure Shortcuts" dialog. If you call it "Configure" it will become ambiguous for the user.

  Okay, let's drop it.

  > Currently the action name and thus the text is "Pin". You mean I should change "Pin" to "Keep Active"?

  Yeah.

  > I agree with @davidhurka here regarding having it on by default. I cannot figure out a use case where a user wants to add a single annotation or keep reselecting it each time.
  >  My typical use case is: I am reading a paper/book and I check the highlighter to highlight the text multiple times while I read, so I want it always active. The highlighter is a common use case, think at e-readers which have only highlighters and notes.
  >  Another one is to fill in multiple forms with the typewriter.
  >  What real-world use cases do you have in mind where you do not need it always active?

  All right, you've convinced me! Never mind on this.

  > Where would you show it? In the action tooltip? e.g "Approved - Stamps are an experimental feature"

  Maybe in a KMessageWidget that goes across the top of the view, like other notes that are presented like this.

  > The things from here and below are very interesting but also quite complicated to implement and time-consuming. I would implement them in following revisions, or we won't ever terminate this one while trying to make the toolbar perfect. Release early, release often.

  OK, fair enough. :-)