D15580: [WIP] New annotation toolbar

Simone Gaiarin noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Oct 14 09:09:03 BST 2019

simgunz added a comment.

  > I think this is ok. Two wishes:
  >
  > - The toolbar button shows a checked state, when the fill color is se

  As it is now that button already displays a rectangle with the currect color (or nothing if no fill color). That should be enough to show the user the current state. Having the button as it is now (InstantPopup) seems more usable to me.
  Isn't this enough? (Maybe I never posted a screenshot with this displayed)

  F7592924: Screenshot_20191014_095818.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F7592924>

  > - The dropdown menu shows the last ~5 selected colors and/or the colors of the favourite annotations.

  Well actually showing a list of colors is a good idea (I did put this in the future improvements list, but it is actually not that hard to do).

  We can have the following action list:

  Color picker: color1, color2, ..., colorN, Custom color...
  Inner color picker: color1, color2, ..., colorN, Transparent, Custom color...

  We should decide which colors to choose.
  The basic option is to provide a palette of standard colors, which seems the solution used by most of the other readers if I am not wrong.
  The second option is to list the previously selected colors. How would you fill the list by default? With standard colors?
  I would discard the third option of having the colors of the favorite annotations.

  I am more inclined towards the first option for the following reasons:

  - it is logically simple
  - it is what most of the others readers do (so what users are used to)
  - If a user has to use custom colors a lot, I expect that it saves those as custom tools in the quick annotation list. E.g. I create a yellow, green, blue highlighters and save them to the quick annotations. Then I think an average user will use those three tools/colors most of the time. I think that situations where one has to use different tools with each different colors (so that the quick annotation list explodes) are quite uncommon. (This is also why I created the quick annotation list, to have the same tool with my custom colors ready to use)