Hello, are there any plans for search in multiple pdf function?

Yuri Chornoivan yurchor at ukr.net
Wed Oct 9 06:20:41 BST 2019

вівторок, 8 жовтня 2019 р. 20:25:48 EEST Dominik Wojtys написано:
> I am currently using fox reader through wine to access this feature, but I
> wondered if there are plans for native software to support it.
>
> Cheers,
> Dominik
>
> PS
> Thank you for all of your work!

Hi,

As far as I know, there are no plans to implement this feature. The reason is
that it is already implemented in Baloo (KDE native reference engine).

Regretfully, Baloo can work effectively on the relatively fast (SSD) drives
only. Indexing on the generic HDD is very slow. But on SSD, it takes 1-2
seconds to find the paper needed in even huge collections. For example, I have
~20 GB of PDFs and Djvu files in my collection (~6GB of Ballo index file) and
it takes 1 second to find all papers with the word "viscoelasticity" on 120GB
SSD via Dolphin.

The other native option is Elsevier's Mendeley. It's proprietary but works on
HDD. It' slower than Baloo but can show the snippets of the found entries.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Yuri