D25484: Enable closing a tab by middle click

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Nov 23 17:56:49 GMT 2019

ngraham added a comment.

  In D25484#566477 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D25484#566477>, @pino wrote:

  > > Do people frequently misclick with the middle mouse button?
  >
  > It can happen, and more often with a touchpad.

  I assume you're talking about Libinput's virtual middle mouse button for buttonless touchpads when using the default "areas" click mode. IMO this is a library problem that we should not work around in apps. You can tell Libinput to use "fingers" rather than "areas" mode and then middle-clicking requires three fingers which is much more difficult to do accidentally. Our touchpad KCM allows configuring this, though we don't make it the default because we respect upstream defaults. We could consider overriding that and using the "fingers" click method by default the way we currently override upstream defaults to force better font hinting in the Fonts KCM.

  In D25484#566483 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D25484#566483>, @romangg wrote:

  > The solution to accidentally clicks is not disabling it by default and making it configurable, but providing the functionality to "restore" a tab after closing it accidentally. Dolphin and Chrome allow me to restore the last closed tab with Ctrl+Shift+T. Does Okular the same?

  Exactly. If tab closing is undoable, then closing accidentally is no big deal at all.