D19542: [WIP] Make pop-up note text visible whatever background color is

David Hurka noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Mar 6 14:35:23 GMT 2019

davidhurka added a comment.

  After reading some Wikipedia, I can say:

  - Checkmarks use luma (NTSC)
  - Your approach uses luma (sRGB)
  - QColor::lightness() uses lightness (HSL-bi-hexcone)

  QColor::lightness() would not solve the problem, it would put white #ffffff text on yellow #00ffff background. Qt had to compute luma, but luma() would need to know the color space of the output device.  I can imagine that Qt developers decided to use value() as a better tradeoff than assuming sRGB or using the primary display’s color space.