D21622: Use a more conventional dropdown menu style instead of press-and-hold

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Jun 6 23:13:15 BST 2019

ngraham added a comment.

  In D21622#475508 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D21622#475508>, @aacid wrote:

  > I don't know why you say "it's a more common way", kmail does exactly what okular did, thus, being consistent.

  ...Consistently bad! :) KMail is wrong too, because press-and-hold to show a popup menu is just a bad UI. BTW other apps of ours like Spectacle do it this way.

  > Now try using this with a touch screen, how do you click on the 2x2 pixels that represent the arrow?

  I don't have trouble hitting the arrow of a split button with my laptop's touchscreen. It's not the easiest thing in the world, but it's hardly impossible. However this is a real issue--for mouse users too, not just touch--so it seems like we should make the arrow part of a split button wider in Breeze. And/or we can make this menu in Okular not be hidden behind a split button at all, and always open its popup on click/touch. But I don't think it makes sense to revert this just to make things better for the very small number of touch users who actually figured out that you need to press-and-hold to open the menu (I never did until I became a KDE developer).