D22617: Add icons for pagelayout options, as needed in Okular

Noah Davis noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Jul 22 16:57:07 BST 2019

ndavis added a comment.

  In D22617#500031 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D22617#500031>, @davidhurka wrote:

  > Makes sense, so I’m flipping snap-page now. Is that written down somewhere?

  Nope, it was recently decided, but I've had that in the back of my mind for a while.

  > Previously I thought a fold on the top is for documents, and a fold on the bottom for pages. Icons like file-new have a fold on the top, icons like insert-page-break have it at the bottom.

  I think it doesn't have anything to do with whether the icon is for pages or documents, it's just that the document-new icon was created more recently with a different style. It might be useful to have a distinction between pages and documents, but a different position for the fold isn't enough and I'm not sure how to make the difference obvious.

  >> Naming Scheme:
  >>  [...]
  >
  > Because it’s changing the layout of page//s//, not a layout //in a// page, yes?

  Mainly just to be consistent with existing icon naming schemes, but that's another possible reason that I didn't think of.

  It still looks pretty squished. Here's what I was thinking of: F7077302: view-pages-facing.svg <https://phabricator.kde.org/F7077302>

  >> `pagelayout-facing-first-centered`:
  >>  [...]
  >
  > I can’t follow you here. Centering the first page is a feature / technical detail of Okular, but it indicates that the first page is somehow special, like the cover page of a book. But your document could be a single chapter of the book as well, so the first page is just a regular odd-numbered page. That page should be aligned right.

  Since it's an icon for Okular and the feature is called "Facing Pages (Center First Page), I don't understand what the problem is with making the top symbol centered.

  Here's what I had in mind:
  F7077350: view-pages-facing-first-centered.svg <https://phabricator.kde.org/F7077350> F7077351: view-pages-facing-first-centered.svg <https://phabricator.kde.org/F7077351>

  In D22617#500141 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D22617#500141>, @davidhurka wrote:

  > But it is just a redundancy. Can’t there be a script, which copies icons to icons-dark and changes the colors, when compiling the icons?

  For most icons, probably.

REPOSITORY
  R266 Breeze Icons