D20437: Make selection scrolling go at 60 fps

kezi noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Thu Apr 11 15:45:02 BST 2019

kezik added a comment.

  Hi,

  In D20437#448163 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D20437#448163>, @sander wrote:

  > How did you determine the value of the `damping` variable?  You write
  >
  >   With this patch this automatic scrolling goes at 60 fps instead of 10, I made it so that the speed of the scroll is the same.
  >

  > If somebody in the future changes the scroll speed, will you have to update your patch?  Wouldn't it be better to have only one constant that determines the speed of both regular scrolling and automatic scrolling?

  The value is chosen so the page speed is exactly what it was before (with approximation), I made a simple calculation, increasing how often the page is moved and decreasing by how much

  For what I can see, the normal scrolling speed is not really defined somewhere .. ? And even if it was, why really is the need to match the normal scrolling with this type of scrolling, since this scrolling comes from a totally different context and "usage pattern"? You don't really want the page to fly away when selecting, and maybe you like a very fast scroll wheel.

  I think that maybe the `damping` value should be tweaked to what seems more natural in this specific context, I chose to keep it with a value that matches the past behavior so people don't scream at me