D10797: Add asterisk when an annotation is associated to non-empty popup

Simone Gaiarin noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Apr 7 12:53:51 UTC 2018

simgunz added a comment.

  > You're not really pushing a "branch" with `arc`, you can think of it more as a diff describing a range of commits.

  This is indeed what I believed.

  My doubt is: when you want to review a "review" what do you do exactly (I never did it). You download a patch and apply it manually to your code (probably arc does this with some command)?
  If I overwrite some commits, as I did today, does it create any problem to the reviewer that already "pulled" from arc the review once? (in git this will create diverging branches between local and remote) Or does arc redownload the diff completely each time, so avoiding problems?

  > IOW, you should be able to do pretty much want you want on your local branch without having to fear to break something in the upstream Git repo (unless you `git push` or `arc land`).

  This was not my fear, but I feared to mess up things to the reviewer that already "pulled" the review before.

  > Also, in general I'd expect you could just `arc diff` over a commit range containing a local revert. I cannot say too much without knowing details about "complaining and didn't let me update the revision", but given your accidental new Diff it seems to me that you got in a situation where `arc` got the commit range wrong, i.e. it could not find a commit containing the "Differential Revision" line, so it could not attach to that.

  It was complaining about the fact that the commit with the revert did not contain a valid "Differential Revision" ID

  >   a commit containing  the "Differential Revision" line,

  Can you explain this better? I've never written any "Differential Revision" line in my commit messages explicitly. Does arc produces new commits with this line?

  > Use `arc which` before `arc diff` to get more information about what Arcanist will do.

  Thanks. That is something I was looking for. I should re-read the phabricator guide more often.

  I'll also have a look at  T7116 <https://phabricator.kde.org/T7116> and maybe I can give some feedback from a point of view of a newcomer.