[Okular-devel] Okular PDF Froms going mad

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Mon Sep 19 09:01:06 UTC 2011

A Dilluns, 19 de setembre de 2011, Igor Mitrenko vàreu escriure:
> 2011/9/17 Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org>
>
> > A Divendres, 16 de setembre de 2011, Igor Mitrenko vàreu escriure:
> > > Hello.
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > > Firstly, Okular is the best or one of the best PDF reader (although
> > > I've tried many different, including propietary), so I'd like to
> > > thank development team for that. Good job.
> >
> > Thanks :-)
> >
> > > But there is a problem, or may be even several problems with PDF
> > > forms.
> > > Despite of forms works in general, they are able to be turned on and
> > > off, edited and so on, it's very sad that positioning and redrawing
> > > of forms>
> > work
> >
> > > in very strange manner:
> > > Them could be placed above or beneath actual (visible) position,
> > > even
> >
> > from

> > > 1) forms _are_ switched off, but still displayed (although they were
> >
> > removed
> >
> > > once screenshot program window popped up):
> > > http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/7974/1before.png
> > > 2) forms switched on, but misplaced:
> > > http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/9315/2before.png
> > > 3) forms are hidden again, but sitll not removed (in fact those are
> > > form from _previous_ page drawn on the current page):
> > > http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/54/2after.png
> > >
> > > Finally, it seems a bit strange that font used in forms differs from
> >
> > final
> >
> > > document (in my case it has rather different font face and size). It
> >
> > seems
> >
> > > possible to catch font from document and use it in appropriate
> > > forms.
> > >
> > > So I'd be happy if you fix it or even guide me how I can fix it by
> >
> > myself. I
> >
> > > am a python developer with not so strong c/c++ background, but I
> > > think I could get it. But I need some basic instructions, like what
> > > and where is better to search in source files.
> >
> > Unfortunately fixing this stuff is not trivial at all. Moreover you are
> > noticing various different effects here.
> >
> > Forms misplacing and misrendering are possibly somewhere in
> > okular/ui/pageview.* or okular/ui/formwidgets.*
>
> Thank you. I'll try it.
>
> > About the font thing, I am not sure what you want, do you want that while
> > you edit the form contents the same font is used that for when is rendered
> > without the input widget?
>
> Exactly.

This is not so easy, I am not sure we expose from poppler (the PDF rendering
library Okular uses) the necessary information for that, anyhow I would
suggest you having a look at the other issues first as from my POV they seem
easier to fix.

Albert

P.S: We have the #okular IRC channel in the freenode network you might want to
drop by to have realtime conversations