[Okular-devel] New Interface for Okular

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Tue Sep 6 16:19:23 UTC 2011

A Dilluns, 5 de setembre de 2011, Michel Ludwig vàreu escriure:
> Hi all,

Hi

> I plan to add a "live preview" feature to Kile, i.e. Kile would
> automatically run LaTeX when the LaTeX document is changed, display the
> result and synchronize the cursor position between the displayed and the
> compiled document. A screenshot of the current state can be found at
>
>   http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/gE5coDhMnBHZlNfPQxFpjg
>
> (The red line indicates  the current position of the cursor in the text
> editor) But for everything to work properly, a tighter interaction between
> Kile and Okular is required. So far, I've added a "ViewerInterface" to
> Okular which has the following methods:
>
>  virtual void setMinimalMode(bool b);
>
>  virtual void showSourceLocation(const QString& fileName, int line, int
>                                                      column);
>
>  virtual void setWatchFileModeEnabled(bool b);
>
>  // SIGNALS
>  void openSourceReference(const QString& absFileName, int line, int column);
>
> I think that the interface could also be extended so that it would allow
> access to other actions of Okular, like the control of the zoom level, or
> access to printing.
>
> Also, once this viewer mode is enabled Okular shouldn't show error dialog
> boxes, but it could maybe emit signals so that the host application can take
> appropriate actions or display the error messages in a different way.
>
> Maybe it would also be a good idea to create a branch inside Okular's git
> repository which would hold the development of the new interface. In that
> way Kile users could test everything more easily.
>
> What do you think?

I think it is more work than it seems but you are volunteering to do the work,
so go ahead :-)

I guess you already know but we hang out in the #okular channel in freenode
IRC network in case you want a somehow more lively discussion

Albert