[Okular-devel] features of okular

murdoch gabbay murdoch.gabbay at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 18:09:37 CET 2009

I have the following suggestions for Okular, designed to maximise use
of precious screen real estate:

* Configuration option to not display the bar at the bottom with the
page numbers (much as the scroll bars, menu bars, and navigation panel
can also be hidden).  Note that with the spread of widescreen laptops,
vertical space is very much more precious than horizontal space.
Presentation mode is no good for this, because it does not seem to
admit "facing pages" or "overview" displays (2 and n-page view).

* Configuration option to browse a document retaining the same
relative position in the page ("anchored" to a particular point in the
page).  "Trim margins" is no good for this, because the text area may
be smaller than the printed area (e.g. page numbers, watermarks,
headers, etc).  Also in 2 and n-page display.

* Option to mark out a rectangle on the page and zoom to that.  Also
in 2 and n-page display.  User scenario: I have a document with lots
of headers and footers, and I just want to display the columns of
text, as facing pages, with a minimum of whitespace and a maximum of
text size.

I also note a bug in Okular: in "fit width" mode in 2-page display,
Okular will not move beyond pages 1 and 2.  That is, I press the
keyboard shortcut for "next page" and Okular just redisplays pages 1
and 2.  Switching to "fit page" mode allows me to move beyond pages 1
and 2, and from there I can move on to other pages in "fit width"
mode.