[Okular-devel] XPS progress

Brad Hards bradh at frogmouth.net
Tue Feb 20 08:05:42 CET 2007

Thanks to some fantastic work by Jiri, okular now has useable XPS support.

Here is how I see it breaks down:
Document loading  - Yes
Pixmap generation - Yes (maybe this should be wip - still some way to go, see
below)
Threaded generations - (not sure what this is, probably not)
Document information - Yes
TOC - Yes
Document fonts - not applicable (at least I think so - there doesn't appear
 to be a way to determine this from the file)
Text extraction - I think so, not sure how this differs from Text export
Hyperlinks - Not yet (this is possible)
Paper size - not sure what this is
Printing - Not yet
Text exporting - Not sure, not sure how this differs from Text extraction

Annotations - not yet
Forms - not applicable (at least I think so - there doesn't appear to be a
 way to do this in the standard)
Inverse search - not applicable (as far as I understand inverse search)
DRM - to be investigated
Embedded Files - not applicable
Configuration page - don't think so (not sure what this is)
Changes in the gui - don't think so (not sure what this is)
Printer setup page - don't think so (not sure what this is)

Jiri: is this how you see it?

XPS still certainly has some problems (we aren't getting the right font
sometimes, aren't doing glyph lookups, aren't handling resource lookups, and
there some missing image/rendering support), and those problems cause some
files to not render as anything useful. However it is working well enough to
be used for some files.

Brad