[Okular-devel] Okular needs some love.

Pino Toscano toscano.pino at tiscali.it
Sat Dec 8 00:51:17 CET 2007

Alle sabato 08 dicembre 2007, FiNeX ha scritto:
> #1 ) Review mode should behave as "BROWSE" "ZOOM", "SELECTION" and "TEXT
> SELECTION" modes.
>
> Actually the "review toolbar" is an "extra mode" added to the 4 main modes.

No, the review mode is an extra mode only of the browse mode.

Actually, even after the IRC discussion, you seem to continue confusing:
a) activating the review toolbar brings to the normal mode
b) after constructing an annotation, the tools is deselected

> When the review toolbar is activated and a tool is selected, it is disabled
> after the first use. It seems that some user wanted it, but this is against
> the standard way of use of okular: when a mode is activated the mouse act
> as expected (browsing, zooming or selecting) until another mode is
> selected. Clicking on a tool of the review toolbar should be the same, not
> using a different paradigm.

This was in okular unless people complained that after constructing something,
they had to disable the still active tool to be able to edit the newly
constructed annotation or to continue working normally.

> The "review" mode should exclude the other 4 modes AND the review tools
> shouldn't autodisable AFTER the first use.

About both (unrelated) things, read above.

> #2.1 ) Move tool.

Probably ok.

> #2.2 ) Delete tool.

Not sure it should be there as "tool" instead of a normal action.

> #3 ) The thickness of shapes and lines should be editable. Above all for
> let users change the ugly 12pt of the ellipse!

Ok for the editable line width, but (again as I told you on IRC) the ellipse
is defined to be 12pt by the PDF (newly ISO) standard.

> #4 ) Actually the "option" button on popup notes is useless.

No more.

> #5 ) There is TWO type of notes, why not having only one type of annotation
> and let it be iconified or expanded?

They are different.
One is just an icon that have associated text with it, the other one displays
some text inline on the page.

> #6 ) The "text annotation" cannot be edited (but you can add on it an
> editable popup note... what? a note to a note? ...funny)

Sounds like a bug.
(but who don't like recursion nowadays? ;) )

> In addition to this "user interface" issues. There is the open problem of
> the portability and the management of reviews/annotations (bug #151614).
>
> The problem is splitted in two part:
>
> 1. Local management of notes.
> This should be quite easy to solve, using an hash or some other methods
> should be enough for tracking the reviewed files. The main problem is
> triggered from the moving/renaming files.

Actually, the current system has no problems with moving, and (IMHO of course)
renaming a document is usually a less frequest action on a document.

> 2. Transferring notes to others.
> This will need some further analysis, mainly the idea to have a "package"
> which contains both the file and the XML should be the easyest way to share
> reviewed files between okular users.

This is one of the ideas so far (see #151614).

--
Pino Toscano