CFP - draft

Matthias Ettrich ettrich at trolltech.com
Sat Apr 12 18:59:07 CEST 2003

Hi,

Kalle compiled a draft for a CFP (see below, thank you Kalle), heavily
inspired by the Linux Tag. Given the meaningful deadlines, we need to get
this out really soon now.

What might still be improved is the list of fields:

- Qt programming tricks
- kdelibs programming tricks
- DCOP development
- KParts development
- KOffice development
- aRts development
- programming tools
- programming patterns and development strategies
- project management issues
- internationalization
- documentation
- ...

Since we say that "Everything KDE-related will be considered", maybe we don't
have to be that specific?  What about talks on real-world projects deploying
KDE in a big scale? The conference is meant to be interesting for KDE
developer as well, maybe there is some real interest in seeing how our code
is used out there?

And maybe we should stress the fact that we also plan to do a 15 min
presentation track, where KDE authors have the possibility to present their
work to other interested developers, potentially gaining new contributors and
co-developers.

Ralf, others, any futher comments?

Kalle, are you subscribed to novehrady at kde.org list?

Matthias

---------------------

KDE Developers' Conference - Call for Papers
August 2xth to 2xth
Zamek, Nov´e Hrady, Czech Republic

Conference Program

The KDE Developers' Conference is a meeting of worldwide KDE
gathers. It will start with two days of technical talks and end with a
three-day hacking session. Besides, there will be lots of time for
socializing.

Do you have a particular expertise related to KDE programming that
could be useful for your fellow developers? Do you want to present a
particular programming pattern, a tool, a development strategy, or
anything else that helps KDE developers become more productive? Then
consider talking about it at the KDE Developers' Conference.

We sollicit submissions for presentations from, but not restricted to
the following fields. Everything KDE-related will be considered.

- Qt programming tricks
- kdelibs programming tricks
- DCOP development
- KParts development
- KOffice development
- aRts development
- programming tools
- programming patterns and development strategies
- project management issues
- internationalization
- documentation
- ...

Technical talks will be scheduled for 45 minutes talk and 15 minutes
Q&A. In some cases, it may be possible to occupy two slots for a total
talk time of 90 minutes. Please note this in your abstract if you
require this.

There will also be room for short presentations of 15 minutes each,
and submissions for these are very welcome as well.

Finally, BoF sessions can be announced in advance or planned on the
spot. A limited number of group rooms will be available for BoFs.

Submission Guidelines

Submissions will be accepted only electronically. Those proposing to
present papers should submit an abstract and a brief biography using a
form by email to nove-hrady-comittee at kde.org. The conference language
is English. The abstracts will be reviewed by the program committee
based on content, presentation and suitability for the event. Accepted
speakers will be notified and will be required to submit a written
paper of about ten pages (two to three pages for short presentations)
for inclusion in the conference proceedings. The papers must be in an
XML/DocBook format. Detailed guidelines will be provided to accepted
speakers. Submissions violating these rules or the formatting
guidelines may not be considered for publication.

Licensing of Accepted Papers

On acceptance, authors will be required to sign a Free Document
License that grants an unlimited, non-exclusive right to KDE e. V. and
its partners to publish the papers both in electronic form on CD-ROM
and the website and in paper form for the conference proceedings and
magazines. Your submission indicates that you agree to these
terms. Papers accompanied by non-disclosure agreement forms can not be
accepted, and will not be reviewed. Papers will be held in full
confidence during the reviewing process. Authors of accepted papers
will be encouraged to supply electronic versions of their papers, as
well as source code and raw data to help others replicate and better
understand their results.

Location

The KDE Developers' Conference will take place at the Zamek ("Castle")
in Nove Hrady in the Northern part of the Czech Republic in Central
Europe. Nove Hrady cannot easily be reached by public transportations,
but a shuttle service will be provided from Prague-Ruzyne airport and
Prague Central Station.

Speaker Incentives and Financial Compensation

The KDE Developers' Conference is run by KDE e.V., a non-profit
organizationof volunteering professionals and enthusiasts of free and
open-source software. We only have a limited budget for this
conference, and cannot generally pay travel expenses or any other
reimbursement or gratification to speakers. We can provide
accomodation and boarding at a very low price (expect about 15-20
Euros per day for full board and lodging, but don't expect luxury
accomodation), and the shuttle service from and to Prague will be free
of charge.

KDE e.V. is solliciting donations from companies and individuals
towards this conference. These donations will be used both for running
the conference and for bursaries for delegates from other continents
and/or without income. These bursaries will be given according to the
following priorities:

- Delegates with an accepted paper, no or low income and a residence
outside of Europe.
- Delegates with an accepted paper and no or low income.
- Delegates who are KDE e.V. members or have applied for membership,
with no income and a residence outside of Europe.
- Delegates who are KDE e.V. members or have applied for membership,
with no income.
- Delegates who are KDE e.V. members or have applied for membership
with a residence outside of Europe.
- Delegates who are KDE e.V. members or have applied for membership.

Please note that even if we can grant you a bursary, you will still be
expected to pay a part of trip yourself, as well as your boarding and
lodging.

We are not able to pay any royalties for presenters.

Important Dates

Please submit your contributions no later than the indicated dates:

Abstract submission deadline:
May 15, 2003

Acceptance notification:
June 1, 2003