[Nepomuk] Bookmarking - rebooted

Ivan Čukić ivan.cukic at kde.org
Thu Aug 25 14:48:14 UTC 2011

Hi,

> document our bookmark points to but we should rather properly define the
> excerpt that we want to remember - a piece of text, part of an image,

For me, the position is as important as the excerpt is. Or, those can
even be thought of as a pair of completely different things.

the originating concepts from the real world:
- a bookmark - a point where something begins (usually where the user
last left the book - the beginning of an unread part).
- an excerpt - a specific stand-alone portion of the text that the
user writes in a notebook while reading a book. (or if he doesn't mind
writing in the book, underlined portion of the text :) )

Why I don't think that an excerpt can be a good substitute in all cases (I
'm looking at this from the perspective of learning something from a
book - I think it is the most complex use-case when books are
concerned)
- on a more technical side - you can't expect the user to go and
select a range of 5-6 pages of interest, and then 'excerpt them' :) -
in the case of bookmarks, it is just 'click to bookmark the current
position'
- excerpts don't always need to be independent of the rest of the text
- excerpts don't always need to be unique in a book
- the area for marking is not always with hard edges, that is some
topic of interest doesn't need to start and end at a certain place.
Think of a writer building up towards a theorem (fuzzy start), then
writing the theorem, writing the proof, and then some remarks about it
and consequences (fuzzy ending).

Can we just create a /generic/ place property that will be a rectangle
for images, page/paragraph/... for books, location on a map etc.?

--
Cheerio,
Ivan

--
While you were hanging yourself on someone else's words
Dying to believe in what you heard