[Nepomuk] In need of input for a desktop search default behaviour

Sebastian Trueg trueg at kde.org
Wed Mar 10 16:11:58 CET 2010

Currently the Nepomuk query API will add a wildcard '*' to each full
text search term so terms like "Nepo" will also match "Nepomuk".
Recently some concern has been raised[1] about this practice and I tend
to agree with it.
Basically the competing idea is to not add a wildcard automatically but
let the user specify it like so:

"nepo*"

The advantage is that 1. we would support both wildcard matching and
non-wildcard matching and 2. simple full-text queries would be speed up
a little bit. The disadvantage is that it would be a behavioral change
in the API (the old behavior is not documented though).

So I need some opinions here.

Thanks a lot.

[1] http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=154&t=86218&start=0